Amanda Galvin

Michael J Cousins Pain Management & Research Centre

Royal North Shore Hospital, Douglas Building

T: +61 (0)2 9463 1500   |   F: +61 (0)2 9463 1050


Shaan & Geoffrey Verco, PMRI Ltd

c/- PMRI, Douglas Building

Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards

T: +61 (0)2 9929 5566  |



Pain Clinical Service Centre

Pain Management & Research Centre

Douglas Building, Royal North Shore Hospital

Reserve Road, St Leonards

T: +61 (0)2 9463 1500

Subscribe for updates and get the latest on PMRI news and events

© 2017 Pain Management Research Institute Limited. All rights reserved.


  • Twitter Clean
  • w-youtube
  • facebook

Education & Training

Postgraduate Degree - FAQs

Do you have questions about our postgraduate coursework degree programs? You may find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions here.


What options are there to study Pain Management?

The program is offered at graduate certificate, graduate diploma and master's degree level. More information about admission requirements, unit of study topics and fees are available here:


Need to Know More?

Please phone us on

(+61) 2 9463 1516, or send us an email.

You can also choose to complete single units of study for professional development by enrolling as a non-award student. This will allow you to count the credit obtained from the successful completion of a unit of study towards one of our degrees, as long as it is claimed within two years of completing the unit of study.



How will this help my career?

Many past students have stated that the degree increased their enjoyment and satisfaction at work by increasing their understanding and confidence for both clinical work and teaching.


Our program is approved for continuing education and professional development credits by a number of professional associations. See more about professional recognition here.


A postgraduate qualification is also often very helpful in gaining promotion and applying for jobs. It should be noted that it is an academic qualification and without recognised clinical training it is not a means to obtaining specialist recognition. It is however, an ideal step in preparing to undertake specialist training in Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine, Critical Care, General Practice, Rheumatology and other medical fields managing patients in pain.



What units of study are offered?

You can read descriptions of our units of study and their assessment requirements here.



What is the difference between a Masters of Medicine and a Masters of Science in Medicine?

A Masters of Medicine (Pain Management) is open to applicants who hold a medical qualification. The Master of Science in Medicine (Pain Management) is open to applicants who hold a non-medical qualification. The two master's degrees offer the same course of study.



How do I apply to enrol into a degree program?

You can click on the postgraduate coursework degree program of interest (see above) and then clickApply Now. The documentation you will need is described below:



Full details on the process of how to apply, accept and enrol in degree programs offered at the University of Sydney is available here.



When are the application closing dates?

You can apply to start studying in the first or second semester of each year. Application closing dates for each semester are listed here.



What happens once I have applied?

Your application is then assessed by our course coordinator. Full details of the application process is available here.



Do I have to attend classes?

No, there are no face-to-face classes. The program is completed entirely online using the University's learning management system Blackboard.



How much study time is needed?

This varies from person to person. During the semester, most people doing two units of study need to devote at least 15-20 hours per week to complete the reading, online activities and assessment tasks. Alternatively, you can choose to study at what is called "slow progression" which means completing just one unit per semester (see below).



Can I study just one unit per semester?

Yes, you can study one unit per semester. This is particularly suitable for people who are also working full-time and/or with significant time commitments. You can choose to change back to part-time study mode (two units per semester) in subsequent semesters. After you have accepted a letter of offer of enrolment, you would just enrol in one unit in your upcoming semester.



What are the fees for your degree programs?

Fees for domestic and international students are listed on the degree program information website (see here). There are no commonwealth supported places for this course.



What are my payment options?

You can choose to pay up-front or defer payment using the government's FEE-HELP program. More information is available here